Courses in Stamford, All of Connecticut, New York City & Northern New Jersey
Our maritime training school offers 5 different courses held at your location (Zenith Maritime Instruction™, with proper documentation, will request permission from USCG Regional offices to have your site approved by submitting site specifications and 3 photographs of the space). (USCG) approved Zenith Maritime Instruction™ licenses training courses satisfying the "Examination requirements" 46 U.S. Code § 7510. "Examinations for merchant mariner credentials and for a completion of applications for an original MMC" contained in § 10.225. The requirements for a renewal MMC application are contained in § 10.227. The requirements for a duplicate MMC application are contained in § 10.229. The requirements for an application for a new endorsement or raise of grade are contained in § 10.231. Mariners will receive either Inland or Near Coastal Credential based on their sea time and experience.
1) 56 hrs. Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV)
2) 24 hrs. Upgrade to Master 100 Tons
3) 80 hrs. Master 100 Tons
4) 4 hrs Auxiliary Sailing Endorsement
5) 4 hrs Towing EndorsementCREDENTIALS (LICENSES)
Licenses are issued by the National Marine Center. To apply for a license, mariners will need to complete Merchant Marine Credential (MC) Application Package.
Two guides are currently available to assist mariners:
1) How to fill out the CG 719B Form by clicking on the Forms link, located on the NBC homepage at www.uscg.mil/nmc.
2) Sea Services Instructions, which can be found by clicking on the MC Evaluation link located on the NBC homepage at www.uscg.mil/nmc.
REASON FOR OBTAINING AN OPERATOR OF AN UNINSPECTED PASSENGER VESSELL LICENSE (OUPV), MASTER 100 TONS, AUXILIARY SAILING ENDORSEMENT AND TOWING ENDORSEMENT:
OUPV (6-Pack) Inland and Near Coastal Routes (a 56-Hrs. course) - For those mariners that want to obtain an Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) Licenses. This License training class is for various water-based businesses such as fishing and river guides, commercial ecological tours and parasail operations.
Master 100 Tons. Inland and Near Coastal Routes (a 80-Hrs. course). Mariners that plan to carry more than six paying passengers in inspected vessels need a Master 100 Tons Captain License.
The OUPV License can be upgraded to Master 100 Tons License with our 24-hrs course. This course must be taken within one year of completion of the OUPV course. Mariners can also select to combine the OUPV and Master 100 Tons training(80 Hrs. course) at the same time.
Auxiliary Sailing Endorsement
is required if a mariner wishes to operate an Inspected Sailing Vessel. This endorsement allows the licensed Master 100 Tons to carry 7 or more passengers while under sail on an inspected sailing vessel. A minimum of 360 days of sea time is required and a 4 hrs. course with a 1 hr test.
is required if a mariner wishes to engage in towing disabled vessels for payment. Any mariner with a USCG license of 100 Tons or Less, including OUPV license, can provide assistance towing after completing a 4 hrs. Course with a 1 hr. test.
OUPV/MASTER 100 TONS LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Before the Coast Guard will accept your application for an OUP License, you must have at least applied for your Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC). For more information about TWIC go to twicinformation.tsa.dhs.gov/twicinfo/ or call (855) 347-8371.
- A license will not be issued until the TWIC is approved.
- Completion of 56-hour course and passage of license exams.
- Minimum age 18 years. Master 100 Tons candidates need to be 19 and be U.S. Citizen.
- Inland Endorsement requires 360 days on inland waters (90 days must be within the last 3 years).
- Near Coastal Endorsement (Allows operation of UPV up to 100 miles offshore) requires 720 days at sea with 360 days on near coastal waters.
- First Aid/CPR card within 12 months
- Medical examination within 12 months.
- United States Department of Transportation (DOT)-approved drug screening within 6 months.
- Birth certificate, Social Security card, and driver's license or photo ID.
LICENSE EXAMINATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
- Navigation General - 20 Questions: 70% Passing Score
- Piloting (Charting) - 10 Questions: 70% Passing Score
- Navigation Rules- INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS FOR AVOIDING COLLISIONS AT SEA (COLREGS)- 30 Questions: 90% Passing Score
- Deck General & Safety & Environment-70 Questions: 70% Passing Score
- MASTER 100 TONS:
- Master 100 Tons Deck General & Safety & Enviroment-70 Questions: 70% Passing Score